Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Israel, Cyprus, NFL, Hawaii and Syria!

Hello Everyone!

I honestly miss making my videos, but these posts will have to suffice for now. I want to start off with the announcement from President Obama from Israel today, where he promised his "undying support" for our sometimes troublesome allies. The issues in Israel date back so many years that they are virtually irreparable, but apparently by pledging our support, we are hoping that all of Israel's enemies will back down, ensuing some sort of peace. I don't really know if it will help or if we are going to need Israel for something sometime down the line, but I suppose it can't hurt to scratch our friends' backs every now and then.

As many of my readers know, the Euro issues have been staggering lately. One country is taking extreme measures to help their debt situation by actually closing all of its banks and cutting off all online wire transfers, in hopes that they can use some of the money to pay the bills. I don't know if Cyprus closed the banks after their plan was released to lock the funds in place and keep people from withdrawing all their money to avoid it (as I could understand), or if this is a complete surprise to Cypriots (honestly, who knew that's what they call themselves?). On top of all this commotion, their plan to use the bank money was rejected, which will only further their economic concerns. Now when or if the banks finally reopen next Tuesday, who wants to bet that there will or will not be a massive run on the banks as soon as the doors are unlocked? The banks make investments that improve the economy from the money that their customers invest. If the banks have no money to play with, the country loses their biggest investors, which hurts the economy even more. Some people think this might be a sort of conspiracy by the United States to test the method on a smaller scale before trying the same "technique" on larger debt problems. Really, guys...? There is good news in all of this though, as it looks like Russia is going to help them out.

The NFL will see some changes in the upcoming season, as a modification to the "helmet-to-helmet" rule was passed today. Now, running backs aren't allowed to lower their head to break tackles. I am all for this change, since I think the former "helmet-to-helmet" rule was too strict and offensive players took advantage of it by lowering their head at the point of impact in hopes of creating a helmet collision and getting an extra fifteen yards. Now we might see some running backs who actually run the ball and make more precision cuts to avoid tackles instead of just plowing through defenders (Alfred Morris, anyone?).

I was just thinking today about how much I miss living in Hawaii. I actually had the opportunity to go back recently and I turned it down for a job that I thought would have a more positive impact on my career. I certainly yearned for the constant warm weather this winter, while I was scraping ice from my windshield in the mornings. If it weren't so expensive, I would consider taking a vacation to the islands this summer. If any of you are planning on making the trip, I would recommend Maui or the Big Island (Hawaii).

Lastly, the Syrian weapon of mass destruction topic is a hot one today, as U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham made the plea to the President Obama administration to send troops to gain control of Syria's chemical weapon stockpiles. I don't know about you guys, but I found it slightly comical to see our current President talking about WMD's after all the talk about President G. W. Bush. To note, we did pull many weapons of mass destruction out of Iraq and there are still troops dying of cancer and other health issues, due to their physical contact with the radioactive substances. Now I ask you, should we send troops to Syria? Should we just be done with the wars altogether? I know many people slightly younger than I am who cannot remember a time that our country wasn't at war. The whole concept completely evades them.

Just to remind you all, I am in training until May and I am unable to make videos during this time. I will try to let you know what topics I am following the "old fashioned" way however, through this blog. If you have anything to add to any of these topics or you have an opinion that you want to voice, please feel free to comment. I promise that I will try to respond to every comment I get. Thank you for reading and stay tuned for more fun!

-BurntCoffeeSucks

No comments:

Post a Comment